Tuesday, January 5, 2016

FIVE REASONS YOUR NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS MIGHT BE KEEPING YOU FROM FULFILLING THEM







I am relatively new to the whole New Year’s resolution thing. My resolutions always started in September, being the geeky student that I’ve always been. After all, with a new school year comes new clothes, new supplies, new classmates, new teachers and new opportunities . January 1 always seemed like the let down after the excitement, the last day of vacation, the freezing cold outdoors. 


When I got serious about growing Yoga for Amputees® , TheJOY Breakthrough and my Healing the Luminous Body® practice, I changed. I was making resolutions quarterly, weekly, daily. I was ready and excited to sit still and listen as my 2016 New Year’s Resolution began.


The challenge was, the moment I sat down, I became anxious , and sad. I had been SO excited to have my New Year’s revelation meditation morning. I was planning on feeling good, empowered and ready to thrive.

Instead,  I found a lot of UNRESOLVED places both personally and professionally.


I hadn’t accomplished all I wanted to last year. I hadn’t traveled the way I thought I would. I hadn’t committed to my wellness the way I thought I would. I hadn’t done what I resolved on January 1, 2015, to do.


I was disappointed with myself. I was afraid , jittery, frustrated about those old familiar annoying stories that creep up when I am stepping into new territory professionally and personally. 


I know this is not the new year’s post that femmepreneurs always want to hear.  I am sure most want to be motivated, inspired, hopeful , tasting their  success.


Except , that is not always how all femmepreneurs feel .


I am and always will be a firm believer in the concept of embracing the WHOLE TREE. There are broken branches, withered leaves, abundant fruit, dry seasons, overripe times, and complete green radiance. If you look closely, though, you will see some hard won scars in the trunk, some serious longevity in the rings , and some elegant grace that rises above the winds, rain and glaring sun.In other words, trees( and solid businesses ) have gone through some 'stuff'.


Here is what I learned this New Year’s about creating a REAL resolution that brings all of you into the picture.


Look at your wins first
 
This year, how about buying an “accomplishment journal” that you write in every evening? Be sure to feel the effects of each accomplishment before writing the next one. Dismiss nothing which you consider trivial. For example, doing the dishes when you are laid out with a bad cold is a major accomplishment in my book.


      Disappointments need to be recognized, honored, and respected

Take some time this January to make a list of any disappointments you had this year . Notice if the feelings about them are still strong. They need to grieved , written about, talked about so they are no longer being carried into 2016 unconsciously. 


Ridiculously high expectations are an automatic set up for failure. 

Take a good look at your resolution meter.  How often in life do you actually follow through with what you resolve to do?  Did you say “I do” but didn’t? Do you say “yes” too much? Do you say “no “ too much? Lower the bar if this is you. A LOT.


Forgiving yourself is not always the best course of action
 We often hear the phrase “Oh , she did her best. That’s all she could do”. In most cases, that is very true, but in some cases, are you being too easy on yourself? Are you constantly using the excuse of “ I’m only human” to avoid taking responsibility for non-action, unethical behavior such as stealing someone else’s ideas, or just plain distraction, such as way  too much time on social media? It’s not always in your best soul  interest  to make excuses“.


Sabotaging yourself” isn’t always the reason you can’t move forward
 I can’t tell you how many femmepreneur coaches tell their clients that the clients are sabotaging themselves by not doing such and such. The reality is, often those coaches say that to make people feel shame,desperate for help and sign up for the coach’s program. 

There’s another approach. I call it “What is it , my love?” 
You DO need to take accountability for your actions, look closely at your disappointments so you can feel and heal, be honest with yourself, expect what’s doable .
You also need to have muchas compassion for the wandering, scared , helpless little girl that resides inside every femmepreneur. Don’t listen to anyone tell you that you are sabotaging yourself, and definitely don’t listen to yourself if that’s where you go . Instead, pause, breathe, and ask, “ What is it my love? What do you need right now?” Perhaps it’s a hug, a nap, a piece of dark chocolate, picking up the phone to make that cold call you have been avoiding for two months.

 I guarantee you will feel more empowered , more focused on your SACRED destiny,and you will make the best New Year’s resolution you have ever made.

Let me know how it goes. I’d love to hear.

Love,

Marsha Therese


No comments: